From the past few days I was exploring different resources and How’s to guide to improve my public skills and then stumble upon a great video How To Speak by Patrick Winston. So, here are my notes from that video, enjoy!
How to Start
- Don’t start with a Joke.
- Start with the promise by telling them the things they will know at the end of the talk.
- Build a fence around your idea and be clear what you are going to talk about and should repeat it in the talk.
- Ask question, this usually helps you to engage people present in the talk, remember that question should not be too easy or too hard.
Time and Space
- Choose the time of the talk very wisely, so that people joining the talk should be energetic, avoid the time after the lunch as people will be a bit drowsy at that time.
- Be Always comfortable with the space where you are going to talk, if necessary visit that place beforehand to get familiar with.
- Space should be well lit.
Tool of the Trade
- Remove unnecessary things from slides, it should have meaningful lines only.
- Font size should be big enough.
- Don’t read the slides while giving talk, always give time to the listener to read the slides.
How to Stop
- Don’t end the slide with, Thank You.
- End it with the contributions, or a Joke 🙂
~ Always remember that Knowledge and practice is greater than talent.